If you need to move your household and personal belongings into storage then you want to do what you can to make sure your things are packed securely so they don't break and stored in a way that makes it easy for you to get at any you may need. The 10 tips in this article will help you to accomplish both of these things:
- Use bubble wrap around your pictures, lamps, large vases and other fragile items that won't fit well in a box.
- Take pictures of the items wrapped in bubble wrap so you can clearly see which one is which without needing to unwrap them each time you go to get something out of the unit.
- Use plastic bins to store all miscellaneous items that are going to be hard for you to categorize or label. This way, you can see right into the bin so you can find what you are looking for without going through a big search.
- Pack your things in boxes that are the same size. This is going to make it easier for you to fit everything into the storage unit and help to prevent boxes from falling and damaging your things.
- Pack your clothing in plastic bags that are sealed tightly so they will be protected from dust and pests. You may want to use the bags that you can vacuum seal to a smaller size, so they will protect your items and take up a lot less room.
- Make a list of everything put in each box and give each box a number. Write that number on the list and on the box. This will make it easy for you to find what you need. You will find the item on the list, locate the number next to it and find the box of the same number.
- Keep large appliances and furniture in the back of the unit unless there is the chance you may need one of those items. If so, then that item can go near the front.
- Set your storage unit up like a store, with your boxes packed in aisles you can walk through. This will eliminate the need to pull a bunch of boxes out just to get at one.
- Remove the batteries out of all your battery operated items. If you don't, there is the chance that the batteries will corrode and ruin your items.
- Tape all electrical cords around the item they belong to. This will prevent them from becoming tripping hazards and keep them from getting pulled on.
This advice will help your items stay in good shape and allow you to get exactly what you want out of self storage without a hassle.