Is your home in need of a new entry door? If so, you may wish to consider installing a fiberglass door. Taking the time to review the pros and cons outlined below can help you to determine whether or not this is the right type of entry door for your needs:
There are many benefits associated with the installation of a fiberglass entry door. These benefits include:
- Lightweight - Fiberglass is an incredibly lightweight materials. However, despite its lightweight nature, it is also incredibly durable. This combination of features make fiberglass doors easy to open and close, while also allowing them to stand up to the abuse of frequent use.
- Energy Efficient - Fiberglass has been used to insulate homes and office buildings for many years. Consequently, it is no surprise that fiberglass doors are able to offer a high level of insulation as well. As a result of their ability to effectively insulate against outdoor temperatures, fiberglass doors will often allow you to enjoy lower heating and cooling bills.
- Easy To Maintain - Fiberglass doors do not require any special maintenance in order to remain looking and functioning their very best. In fact, the only maintenance you should ever have to perform is to simply wash your doors whenever they become dirty.
- Mimic Wood - Fiberglass is currently the only building material that is able to effectively mimic the appearance of natural wood grains. As a result, these doors are often ideal for people who enjoy the look of wood, but do not want to deal with the high maintenance requirements that come along with a wood door.
There are also a few disadvantages that you will need to consider. These disadvantages include:
- Fading - While fiberglass doors are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns, the color of these doors will often fade when exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. This problem can be avoided by using an awning or other type of shelter over your entry door.
- Cost - Despite the fact that fiberglass doors have become increasingly affordable over the years, these doors are still among the most expensive options the market has to offer.
- Relatively New - Fiberglass doors are among the newest options in the residential entry door industry. As a result of their relatively short time on the market, there are still some unanswered questions regarding the performance of these doors in the long term.
The Bottom Line
While most homeowners will find the use of fiberglass entry doors to be extremely beneficial, these doors will not be right for everyone. To learn more about the use of fiberglass doors in your home or to explore some of the other options that are available to you, be sure to contact a reputable contractor in your local area today to schedule a consultation.
To learn more, contact a company like Truax Builders Supply Inc with any questions you have.